Marinated Summer Veggies with Chicken Sausage
It’s the hot-weather cooking conundrum: What’s a light, refreshing meal that’s not a salad? No one wants to spend hours in the kitchen over a hot stove, and there are only so many greens you can eat before your taste buds start demanding more action.
The answer: Marinated Veggies with Chicken Sausage.
In this flavor-rich dish, colorful summer veggies like zucchini, squash, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and green beans soak in a tart marinade; chicken sausage adds a boost of protein. Just make sure to use an all-natural chicken sausage to avoid preservatives and keep the sodium low.
Balsamic vinegar, fresh lime juice and garlic add a refreshing kick and brightness, and a sprinkle of fresh basil creates a “right-from-the-garden” flavor.
Since this recipe only includes some chopping and slicing, you can prep well beforehand or do a big chop-and-slice session to cook up a bigger batch. If you manage to have leftovers, pack them up for tomorrow’s lunch. No need to warm it up; it’s just as tasty and refreshing straight out of the fridge.
The best part? No “Top Chef” skills needed here — chop, marinate, and cook. That’s it. And if you don’t want to broil it (and yourself) in a hot kitchen, you can throw it all on a sheet pan and cook it on the grill — no muss, no fuss.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1 lb. green beans, ends removed
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium summer (crookneck) squash, sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 cooked chicken sausages, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Here are your instructions:
To make marinade, combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, and garlic in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Place green beans, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion in a re-sealable plastic bag (or large bowl). Add marinade; shake to blend. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill or broiler to high.
Place veggie mixture on a large sheet pan (or broiler pan). Add sausages; mix well. Spread out evenly.
Grill or broil for 4 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
Sprinkle with basil before serving.
- Look for all-natural chicken sausage that does not have preservatives and is not high in sodium.
- You can start with raw or cooked sausage, just make sure it’s cooked when you add it to the veggies.