Eating at home more seems to increase the use of condiments. More people are having sandwiches, and dinner is often grilled hamburgers, sausages, and hotdogs.
What is on your go-to condiment list?
Are you aware that some are better healthy choices than others?
Some Condiment Stats
- Mayonnaise: 1 Tablespoon is 93 calories, 82mg sodium, and 0g sugar
- Barbeque Sauce: 1 Tablespoon is 32 calories, 142mg sodium, and 6.5g sugar
- Ketchup: 1 Tablespoon is 20 calories, 157mg sodium, and 4g sugar
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard: 1 Tablespoon is 24 calories, 363mg sodium, and 1g sugar
- Sweet Relish: 1 Tablespoon is 18 calories, 112mg sodium, and 3.5g sugar
- Salsa: 1 Tablespoon is 5 calories, 79mg sodium, and <1g sugar
- Hot Sauce: 1 Tablespoon is 2 calories, 344mg sodium, and 0g sugar
Hot sauce makes the best choice for the lowest calories. Servings are usually as small as a teaspoon, which means you can get some good taste! Just watch the salt intake. Hot sauce is high in sodium.
Consider using avocado slices instead of mayonnaise for a creamy taste that is a good healthy fat that has fewer calories.
As you search at the store, consider locating products that are made with natural ingredients. Watch the salt and sugar on the labels. It is often a surprise when you look closer. Condiments enhance the food taste, but you do have choices!